Fair Use Policy
KAJEET COMPLETE EDUCATION BROADBAND™
Kajeet provides mobile Education Broadband to connect students anytime, anywhere they engage in learning. We are driven to make this solution affordable so we can connect as many disadvantaged students as possible within limited budgets. Thus, Education Broadband is designed to block inappropriate content and minimize non-educational activities that consume bandwidth and drive up costs for the entire system. A school or district is not limited on bandwidth for educational sites.
Kajeet works with schools and districts to ensure any site required for student success is allowed and legitimately used for education. Our Fair-Use policy adapts frequently as the Internet evolves, new protocols emerge, and new apps present threats or distractions.
Kajeet Complete Service Fair Use Policy
Education broadband service provided under the Kajeet Complete Service Plan is intended for educational use only with one user per device. In the event Kajeet detects bandwidth consumption inconsistent with educational use, Kajeet may temporarily block such service while conducting further review. This learning system allows Kajeet to continually refine our Complete Service to deliver the most cost-effective education broadband service possible and to identify new potential threats to student learners quickly and efficiently.
Education Broadband comes with two, pre-configured settings: K-8 students and 9-12 students.
- Both groups block criminal and age-inappropriate content (porn, drugs/alcohol, weapons, gambling, profanity, hate speech, etc.).
- Both also block many high-bandwidth or popular consumer sites and app traffic (Internet radio, tv, celebrity news/gossip, non-educational games, text/pic/video chat sites, etc.).
- The 9-12 group allows some content not allowed in K-8 (sexual education sites, instant messaging, and web-email, etc.).
- Both groups block various protocol and security risks (known malware, proxies, viruses, P2P protocols, IPSEC VPN, etc.).
- Both groups have time controls restricting access from 11PM – 6AM (by default, can be adjusted) so students have appropriate time for sleep.
- Both groups have excessive data consumption flags (greater than 500 MBs per day). These pre-set flags allow Kajeet to monitor inappropriate use. In the event a data consumption flag is triggered, that specific device is blocked for the remainder of that day so that the potential inappropriate use cannot continue. Device consumption flags are reset at mid-night and the device may continue normal operation the following day. Clients will be notified of any inappropriate use due to data consumption triggers.
SOCIAL MEDIA, YOUTUBE, AND STREAMING MEDIA CONTENT
According to a recent report from network vendor Ericsson, and its Mobility Report, two-thirds of data traffic on mobile networks comes from Facebook (16%), YouTube (15%), Netflix (12%), Instagram (9%), and SnapChat (9%). At Kajeet, our experience has shown that YouTube, social media sites, and app sites can represent as much as 90% of student consumed unfiltered wireless data.
Because Education Broadband service is paid for by the school or district, it is designed to allow students to access tools for learning, but curb the natural temptation to have the SmartSpot and broadband access become their source for television shows, gaming, social networks, and video chatting.
YouTube is a public forum with far more non-educational and inappropriate content than educational. As a result, your Education Broadband default setting is to block YouTube and other streaming media content except for those specific videos that have been designated as educational.
We want to make every effort to ensure students are able to access the educational media content they need without disruption. Education Broadband does allow access to over 500,000 education videos via streaming sites such as: SchoolTube™, TeacherTube™, Khan Academy™, PBS™, Discovery Education™, and TED™. For those districts that wish to offer unfiltered YouTube access to their students, Kajeet offers an optional plan to allow such access.
If there are specific educational resources your students need to access, Kajeet can narrowly tailor modifications to the filter so that we do not open up significant non-educational use by students.
The following options are available for accessing streaming media/videos for educational purposes on the Kajeet Complete Plan:
- Clients can select and pay for the Optional Unfiltered YouTube for their Kajeet Complete Plan. Note: Unfiltered YouTube option runs in YouTube Restricted Mode and is subject to a 500MB per day excessive bandwidth consumption flag. YouTube® Restricted Mode™ is an opt-in setting that helps screen out potentially objectionable content that we do not want our client’s students to stumble across while enjoying YouTube. You can think of this as a parental control setting for YouTube. While it's not 100% accurate, YouTube uses community flagging, age-restrictions, and other signals to identify and filter out inappropriate content.
- Clients can access more than 500,000 safe, educational videos on SchoolTube or TeacherTube.
- Clients are given Kajeet Knowledge Center access to open tickets for allowing specific URLs upon request.
- Clients can contact their Education Program Manager (EPM) requesting specific URLs to be allowed for them.
Please note: Requests for entire category changes or allowing complete web sites (e.g: History.com) are subject to review and consideration, not guaranteed.
EDUCATION BROADBAND DATA CONSUMPTION EXAMPLES
If you have any questions regarding Kajeet Education Broadband or the pre-configured filtering options, please contact an Education Broadband Specialist via phone 1-240-482-3500 or email email@example.com; or your Regional Sales Director here: www.kajeet.net/purchasing.